Wednesday, March 17, 2010

All About Potential

Writing my list yesterday got me thinking about potential (it's never a good idea to write a top ten list after drinking a glass of wine -- it's too hard to rein in your mind afterwards!). As good things are currently in the works (I promise I'll disclose more soon!), it seems an apt time to look at it a bit closer (without wine, this time). (Gosh, I really need to stop using parentheses.)

Yesterday, I wrote how I love that there's the potential for something to happen with my writing. I didn't actually stop to think exactly what I meant until later. What potential? To finish a first draft, to polish a novel I'm happy with? To get published, to hit The Times' bestseller list (I can dream big, right?).

When we're young, we're full of potential. Everything seems possible; our life has not yet been narrowed down to a defined career, we haven't been pigeon-holed. Will that happen if/ when I'm published? Will my potential diminish, once I've achieved a part of my dream and start to 'grow up' as a writer? Or will my potential grow along with me?

I'm going to look at potential as a growing process. A baby has the potential to sit up, to smile. A teenager has the potential to drive a car, to go to university. As a writer starting out on the publishing journey, I'm happy with the baby steps I'm making towards fulfilling my potential -- now and in the future.

12 comments:

  1. I agree. Baby steps work for me. I'm not one who looks down the road to the future. One step at a time. Focus on the now. Working for me so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful journey, the whole writing process, taking us all kinds of places! Enjoy each step ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an insightful post. My sister, who is a writer but doesn't blog (yet :D) and I have had a similar conversation recently. She says she's secretly afraid that she only has X number of stories in her head, and once she's written them her moment as a writer will be over. I think the opposite. The more I write, the greater my potential becomes. The bar goes higher, the craft is continually honed, and creative doors revealed behind other doors swing open.

    "Fulfilling (our) potential, now and in the future," that's what it's all about!

    Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jemi, Joanne and Nicole, for your great comments. It *is* all about fulfilling our current and future potential. Cheers to that! (Is it, after all, St Patrick's Day!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this post, Talli. I'm a late bloomer, and I'm all about potential. As long as we're working and striving, I think we are realizing our potential. Now go out there, and have an awesome St. Patrick's Day! (Then come back and write about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dream big, the potential is there with us writers, every single day.

    I love this post.

    Happy St. Patty's day, back at ya! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    I love your big red P!

    P for positive, possibilities and pizzazz!!

    Good for you that you're embarking on an amazing journey - we'll be cheering you on all the way!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. It's a journey, and I think we all grow into (or out of) our dreams. So yay!you! for wanting to take the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following yours now, too!

    I love espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank everyone for the best wishes and the wonderful thoughts on potential. Aubrie, thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    I clicked your link at "writing in the wilderness." I really like what I've read so far. I'm going to tag along, if you don't mind.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by, Pat! Please, by all means, tag along!

    ReplyDelete

Coffee and wine for all!